localcharacter

localcharacter

Grand Canyon, Inc.

Grand Canyon, Inc - Percival Everett This is a very short book (out of 126 pages of text, at least 36 are blank or nearly blank for chapter dividers), so when I saw it on the library shelf next to Glyph, I figured why not? I had a vague sense of Everett as being a little experimental or weird, and this seemed like a harmless way to dip a toe in before committing to something larger.It's a pretty straightforward tale of an over-the-top character, Rhino Tanner, who likes to shoot animals and who manages to con the bankrupt government into letting him develop a gift shop which metastasizes into an amusement park/resort in the Grand Canyon—and his estranged son Niko, who joins local native tribes in opposing the development. Put a big Boom! at the end and nature wipes the slate clean. The telling is appropriately tongue-in-cheek, but the satire has lost its bite with the metastasizing of U.S. corporate culture in general.It's not bad; it's entertaining enough for the brief time it'll take you to read. But it's very slight, and while I haven't been moved to avoid him, I don't feel like I've gained any sense of what the rest of Percival Everett's writing might be like.