localcharacter

localcharacter

The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold (A CSA Word Classic)

The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold (A CSA Word Classic) - Evelyn Waugh This turned up on the audiobook shelves at the library; I recognized the title from my parents' shelves, so I thought why not? It's all rather English, borrowing from stereotype here and lending itself to stereotype over there. There's not much drama, since the reader (listener) knows perfectly well that Waugh's stand-in Pinfold is suffering from hallucinated voices while on a long cruise; the melodrama he imagines is nearly without consequence, except on the few occasions when Pinfold threatens to act in the real world based on the misinformation in his head. Fortunately (for himself; unfortunately for the reader) he never really does much except send alarming telegrams to his wife and change his tickets for an earlier return.But the audiobook reader (Michael Cochrane) does an excellent job bringing all those voices to life, with distinct tones and accents, and the result is not unlike an old-fashioned radio play. I doubt I've learned any profound life lessons, but I did enjoy myself for 5 hours.