localcharacter

localcharacter

Buddha, Vol. 8: Jetavana

Buddha, Vol. 8: Jetavana - Osamu Tezuka, Maya Rosewood Tezuka's 8-volume life of Buddha, even though it's presented with plenty of traditional manga accoutrements (fights are full of BIFs and POWs; weather makes noise; animals and children have big eyes), is a serious and engaging examination of the character of a man though his biography. It's not a religious work, but in showing how the philosophy/religion now called Buddhism got started, it manages to teach some lessons.We see the struggles of Buddha and his disciples with worldly problems—greed, lust, anger—and we see them succeed and fail: we get invested in the outcome, not because we're told this or that person was important, but because we experience their struggles from beginning to resolution. The eight volumes have their ups and downs, but overall they tell an exciting and well-rounded story, with passion and humor.I can't imagine anything this much fun being done for the life of Jesus. It seems adherents of the religion now practiced in his name take the "facts" of his life far too seriously.