localcharacter

localcharacter

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual - Michael Pollan, Maira Kalman I read (actually, listened to) In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto a couple years ago; I remember listening to it in airports on my way back from the 2010 ALTA conference in Philadelphia, which dates it to November 2010. It was good, though a bit officious and prescriptive in tone (though, in turn, that tone was mostly the audio book narrator's, not the author's). I agreed with Pollan's conclusions—Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.—which meant I considered Food Rules: An Eater's Manual superfluous.But then I saw the edition illustrated by Maira Kalman. I'm not bowled over by her work—is it really anything more than 50% Alex Katz and 50% Roz Chast?—but I certainly fall for its charms. (The back cover features a box of "Crazy Fun" cereal, which "provides you with twice the Zilch of other cereals.") So I got it from the library and read it. It's a pleasant way to be reminded of some things which should be common sense but, apparently, are not. Only a few rules really gave me anything new to think about, and of those #55 stands out. The rule is "Stop eating before you're full," but it's developed by contrasting the French Je n'ai plus faim ("I'm no longer hungry") to the American I'm full. Other languages express a very different relationship to the plate in front of us.I enjoyed this book with a martini (Tanqueray, 3 garlic-stuffed olives) and a few sweet gherkins. Not my normal dinner, but one I highly recommend.