localcharacter

localcharacter

There Is No Dog

There is No Dog - Meg Rosoff Bob is 19, a lazy, undisciplined kid, but he has enough sense to want to escape his reckless mother Mona, who most recently has gambled away his pet Eck in a poker game. On top of that, Bob's job is way over his head and his appointed helper Mr. B has come to resent picking up after him. Then Bob meets Lucy, a lovely young woman working at the zoo, and though Mona and Mr. B and everyone else can tell no good will come of it, Bob decides he's fallen in love with her.Standard YA rom-com. Except Bob's job is God, the Heavenly Father, Earth's Creator, All of the Above—and Lucy is a normal, well-adjusted, mortal human. Not least among the complications is that the weather really does express God's emotions, and teenage love angst translates to flooding, hail, and heat waves, usually switching off every ten minutes.It's an audaciously silly idea and I'd seen some good buzz, so I picked it up when I spotted it on the library new-books shelf. It's pleasant enough and goes by quickly, but it really doesn't amount to much.The writing is limp, phoned-in—it wants to be Douglas Adams–level silly, but it's about 90% short of invention for that. About three fourths of the way through, Rosoff unaccountably switches from past-tense to present-tense narration; it changes nothing about how the story comes across and makes me suspect her editor just speed-read the ms before handing off for production. As a story, it mostly fits together, at least on its own terms, and the premise lends itself to some set-pieces which kept me amused for as long as it took to read them, but really, that's all I got. If you find yourself reading it you'll probably get some chuckles out of it, but it's not worth seeking out.