localcharacter

localcharacter

The Perk - Mark Gimenez I finally finished this, minutes before it disappeared from my Kindle when the checkout ended at midnight. It helped that this was one of the more unevenly paced Reachers, and we don't return to the opening scene and timeline until about 2/3 of the way through--only at which point are we aware of how much deep shit Reacher is in this time and how hard it'll be to get out, so those last 20 or so chapters were easy to ride along with and finish the book in time.Get out he does, of course (not just because he's Reacher, but because The Affair is set in time just before Reacher #1 and thus nearly every other book in the series), thanks to a disappointingly arbitrary deus (or rather colleague) ex machina.. But the buildup is slow and lacks convincing tension. I think just this once we're supposed to see that Jack Reacher's passion for the woman is genuine (and reciprocated), and understand that that's part of the conflict he's feeling. But no, it didn't work that way for me, in part because I don't recall her ever turning up in any of the 14 other storylines that are supposed to take place afterwards.Child sets this one in a distinct time and place, which gives him an opportunity to show off some locally and temporally appropriate language and cultural knowledge. But it's often too conspicuously displayed, and occasionally not quite right after all.Still, it's a Reacher. The man's flawed infallibility is his great attraction, and the books are the same.