localcharacter

localcharacter

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith A quick but pretty completely satisfying YA novel. Seventeen-year-old Hadley misses her scheduled flight to London for her father's wedding to a woman she's never met—and while waiting for the next flight, she meets Oliver, a boy who's been going to school in the US, also returning to London. They get to know each other on the flight, but then lose each other at the airport and have to make it through their unpleasant days alone. Mostly.With that frame story, we get a lot of opportunity to understand Hadley's perspective on love, marriage, family, travel, work, etc. etc.—and watch it change, even when she doesn't want it to. But it doesn't feel like a "message novel" at all; it feels like an organic, realistic tale of 24 (very significant) hours in the life of one (normal) teenager.There are a few early glitches with verb tense—"The light outside was starting to disappear and her plane is now somewhere over the Atlantic"—but that doesn't remain a problem. (It's told in present tense, with flashbacks, with close third-person giving us Hadley's thoughts.) I only noticed one gap in the telling: I wanted more justification for Hadley's so quickly coming to like Charlotte, her dad's new wife. Also, the casualness with which Hadley uses her cellphone in the UK is a bit disarming (most US cellphones simply won't work overseas, and does she have any idea how much those calls cost?!), though perhaps not unrealistic.Note to YA authors: Don't try so hard with the dystopias and the vampires. Just write good stories.